Saturday, September 11, 2010

Making Soap

today I made a bit of soap...this is Cedar and Sage sitting nicely in the mold. I will unmold and cut it tomorrow. The recipe behaved beautifully. The specks are parsley...I thought they would give a good look to the soap. Parsley is one of the very few things that retains it's color in the saponification  process. Most other botanical items turn brown.

I also made a small test batch for a customer.  He wants a more moisturizing soap, so I cut WAY back on my coconut  oil, used both cocoa butter AND shea butter (in higher percentages) and superfatted a bit. This second batch overheated and grew out of the tube.

You can see that it even cracked on the top. I stuck that baby in the refrigerator to cool it down and it stopped  growing at 1" above the disposable mold. I have to admit that I unmolded this one  WAY early as it was already pretty hard at 6 hours and I wanted to see what was going on inside. The plastic lining on my disposable soap mold (AKA Pringles can) bubbled with the heat and left me with moon crater soap  that smells lovely and I'm hoping will be delightful on the skin - so who cares how it looks?

I miscalculated on my  test batch and so I will have two weird shaped soaps...should have put some rope in them so The Army Guy could have soap-on-a-rope. These are 3oz bathroom cups that I had handy when I realized that I had too much soap :)

2 comments:

soggybottomflats said...

oh I love your soap! I may need to come to your house so you can teach me. I have made soap once after I read Rhondas blog, down-to-earth, and I loved it, not scary at all. But now, for some weird reason, I am a little nervous about it. I have a huge container of lard for the fats and even managed to buy 2 cans of real lye at Ace hardware, before they removed it from their shelves. I guess the dummies that make meth use it, ughh!! I'll have to stop being a baby and just do it. Thank you so much for being an inspiration, Elaine

Lynn W. said...

Let me know how that superfatted soap works, would you? My mom has very, very dry skin and it if helps your friend (and you have enough) I would consider buying some from you.