Thursday, August 19, 2010

Story of a Quilt with a Weird Name

This is a quilt I made a few years back in response to an ArtImage Challenge. Several times during the year a piece of art was chosen and then we were to create a quilt inspired by the original art piece.

American Gothic was our inspiration piece.

I knew that American Gothic was a portrayal of a father and his daughter so that got me thinking about the relationship a father should have with his daughter.

This quilt is named A Father's Relationship with his Daughter. (told you it was kind of a weird name)

I chose to use a flower to portray this. A father should be the one to nurture his daughter, shielding her from what could harm her, giving her a firm foundation so her roots are strong, giving her stability so she can grow up and out and bloom into something beautiful.

I thought Ricky Tims' Caveman Quilting techniques worked well to go with my vision for this quilt, making it more free form as a man does not have full control of how it will all turn out in the relationship, just like this method of piecing!














I free-motion quilted using a flowing crosshatch, swirls, hearts and straight(er) lines in the flower.



I have entered this quilt in an online contest at The Quilting Gallery. The contest starts Friday the 20th, so if you are so inclined, pop over and vote for my little quilt!

1 comment:

Carol said...

Pretty quilt. I like the story behind it.