Saturday, April 17, 2010

The quilt is unfinished and still on the frame *sigh*

I have been working on this quilt for a long, long time. It is a leaders/enders project so it hasn't taken too much out of me as I was able to work on the piecing while working other projects.

I doodled quilting designs every since I decided what to do with the fabrics and this is what I'm working with...though it is going slower than I expected...it might be because I had to clean my house a bit more than usual (I'll be out of town next week in Paducah and FIL is coming here) AND dh's car broke down. So I've had extra distractions that, added to my homeschooling and regular routine, kept me from quality quilting time :(  I felt the pressure to finish it was lifted when dh's car broke down and just set the quilt project on the back burner.


Most of the fabrics are from some Obnoxious Fabric Swaps that I hostess a couple of times a year on the About.com Quilt Forums. I have found that if I cut them up into tiny pieces, and sew LOTS of them together, they lose some of their obnoxious flavor :)




The story of this quilt begins with those fabric swaps. Some of the fabrics are...UM...hard to work with. Some of them just don't work in our stashes, so we cut them up and share them with others.  Some are just weird like the alien, the farm animals and - who really wants a fly on their quilt? and what are those frogs DOING?

And then there are the ones that you wonder what the designer was thinking...why did you combine THOSE colors? And what is up with using flowers to make fish? snakeskin...EEEWWW!


We have a great time with those obnoxious fabrics, but I had to cut them up and sew them before they started to rebel and take my peaceful fabric with them! I did add bits and snatches from other projects and some pieces that were old stash that I wasn't sure what to do with them...


Why is it the novelties are the easiest ones to call obnoxious? Is it because they are for a targeted clientele and the rest of us just don't get it?

No comments: